Pet Travel Information

If you are intending to travel to the EU with your pet dog cat or ferret, your pet will require the following:

  1. Your pet must be microchipped.
  2. Your pet must be up to date with rabies vaccinations, and a vaccination record with his/her microchip number on it, to prove this. This must be done at least 21 days prior to travel. Most rabies vaccines last for between 1 and 3 years – it will be necessary to get a booster done before it expires.
  3. Since Brexit, UK PETS passports are no longer valid for travel. Unless you have a PETS passport that was originally issued in a current EU country, you will need an Animal Health Certificate issued by a vet in the UK prior to travel.

Animal Health Certificate

This is a certificate issued by a UK vet to allow your pet to travel to the EU. This must be issued within 10 days prior to travelling to the EU, and is valid for onward travel within the EU, and return to the UK within 4 months. This is only valid for one trip, and a new certificate must be issued every time your pet leaves the UK.

If you are a client registered with Moray Coast Vet Group, and plan to travel to the EU with your pet, please complete the form (add link) on the website and a member of staff will contact you to make the necessary appointments. Please allow 5 working days for us to reply, and please make contact with us in plenty of time to ensure all the necessary requirements are fulfilled. An Animal Health Certificate takes some time to process. We aim to issue the certificate within 48hrs after your appointment.

Prior to return to the UK, your pet will also require treatment for tapeworms. This must be administered and certified by a vet in the EU within 48hrs prior to travel back to the UK.

If you are planning to travel with your pet beyond the EU, the regulations for different countries vary. Please visit www://  for more information or contact us by phone to discuss further.

Copyright 2018 Moray Coast Vets Group  |  Design by Cuan